Date: Jul 4, 2023
Location: Somalia, Somalia
Organization: African Union
• Respect for Diversity and Team Work • Think Africa Above all
• Transparency and Accountability • Integrity and Impartiality
• Efficiency and Professionalism • Information and Knowledge Shari
Reports to: DSRCC
Number of Direct Reports: 5
Number of Indirect Reports: 3
Job Grade: P5
Number of Positions: 1
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
Purpose of Job
Provide forward-looking analysis of human rights, protection, child rights and gender issues within the mission area, which could impact on the successful implementation of the mission mandate.
Advise the Mission Leadership on matters pertaining Human Right, International Law, conduct and discipline, gender, protection (all compliance) issues;
• Support the ATMIS Uniformed personnel in implementing their respective mandate that relates to the thematic area of PHRG
• Formulate the PHRGs work plan/strategies and budget of the Unit and plan and allocate work assignments.
• Provide supervision guidance, mentorship to the staff within the Unit of PHRG;
• Support the mission in drafting various SOPs and guidance documents on PHRG thematic areas such as Force Commanders Directives for operations, ATMIS Sea Zero Tolerance policy, Treatment of Dis-armed Fighters, SOPs on CCTARC.
• Support the Board of Inquiry (BoI) regime of the Mission and manage several high-profile investigations into allegations of human rights violations against ATMIS personnel
• Perform other tasks as requested by the immediate supervisors
Skills and Qualifications
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
• Master’s Degree in International/Criminal Law, military sciences, Human Rights, Protection or a related law field with twelve (12) years of progressive working experience in a related field out of which seven (7) should be at managerial level and four (4) at supervisory level.
• Experience in a peace operation and/or in a conflict or post-conflict context with knowledge of the work of Government, NGO and multilateral and regional institutions.
• A higher qualification will be an added advantage
Ability to conduct research, formulate options and present options and recommendations.
•Ability to identify key issues in complex situations.
•Ability to handle and treat all mission confidential information, documentation, facts and communication with the due confidentiality and refrain from using it for own personal or other advantage.
•Ability to work closely with governments, NGOs and multi-lateral institutions in complex political affairs, peace and security undertakings.
•Ability to monitor progress against milestones and deadlines.
•Demonstrates openness in information sharing and keeping people informed.
•Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organization goals.
•Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team short comings.
•Computer literate and well versed in the use of the Internet, Power Point, Excel and Word.
•Excellent writing, negotiating, analytical and communication skills.
•Identify priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required.
•Ability to work in a multicultural setting.
• Ability to work in a hardship context and highly pressurized and sometimes hazardous environment.
Leadership CompetenciesStrategic Perspective:Developing Others:Change ManagementManaging Risk ….Core CompetenciesBuilding relationships:Foster Accountability CultureLearning Orientation;Communicating with Influence:Functional CompetenciesDrive for Results…Continuous Improvement FocusAnalytical Thinking and Problem SolvingJob Knowledge and information sharing..
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The Appointment will be made on a fixed term contract for a period of one (1) year, of which the first three (3) months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract may be renewed for a similar period subject to funding availability, satisfactory performance and agreed deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 173,672.59 (P5 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 127,823.64 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff of the African Union Commission
How to apply
Applications must be submitted no later than July 19, 2023 11h59 p.m. EAT.
-Only candidates who meet all job requirements and are selected for interviews will be contacted.
-Consideration will be given only to those candidates who have submitted a fully completed online application with a curriculum vitae (CV), an African passport, and the required academic qualifications, such as diplomas, Bachelor’s degrees, Master’s degrees and any relevant certificate in line with the area of expertise.
-The African Union is an equal opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
-Candidates from less represented countries within the African Union are strongly encouraged to apply for positions that fit their profiles. These countries include Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Comoros, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Sahrawi D.R., Sao Tome and Principe., Seychelles, Somalia and Tunisia.
Requisition ID: 1911