Position Title :Reporting and Communication Intern
Reference Number: CFA/IOMSO/002/2023
Duty Station: IOM Somalia, Nairobi, Kenya
Type of Appointment:National Internship
Duration of Contract:Nine (9) Months
Organizational Unit:Community Stabilization Unit
Estimated Start Date:As soon as possible
Closing Date:27 September 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, female candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision and management of the Senior Programme Coordinator/HoSO (Community Stabilization) and the direct supervision of the Programme Officer (Monitoring, Evaluation and Communications), the Reporting and Communications intern will support in reviewing and providing inputs to all communications materials developed under the unit as well as provide support in informal donor reporting.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
The core duties shall include the following:
- Assist in the drafting of monthly, quarterly and interim narrative reports detailing activities and successes/challenges in close collaboration with the M&E and Program units.
- Assist in the coordination of Community-Stabilization information collection to maintain consistency and coherence across projects and ensure that information collection processes and the overall information management activities including encoding, storing and transfer of data and analysis is conducted.
- Participate in strengthening the existing communication strategy across projects.
- Provide assistance in the preparation and generation of information products and support information sharing and dissemination through all relevant channels.
- Write success stories and lessons learned narratives/recommendations for review by the M&E Officer before publication.
- Support on external communications exercises undertaken by the unit and coordinate with IOM Somalia Media/Communications unit on internal products to be developed for the Community Stabilization unit.
- Draft required guidance materials and presentations for the unit.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Training Components and Learning Elements
- The Intern will gain on-site experience in working in an international multicultural environment, within the United Nations system.
- The Intern will gain a better understanding of IOM’s work, as an inter-governmental
- organization in the field of migration and sustainable development, incl. cooperation with the government partners and UN agencies.
- The Intern will acquire technical knowledge in reporting, development of diverse communications products and environmental and Community Stabilization -based programming.
- The Intern can will be able to access relevant online training courses at the disposal of all IOM staff.
- The Intern will have the possibility to interact with the multi-stakeholder constituents, as well as with the internal and external partners involved in organization and implementation of capacity building communications and knowledge sharing activities.
- University degree or/and master’s degree in Political or Social Science, English language, Communications, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution
- Experience in Project Development and Reporting;
- Experience in writing and editing information materials and reports;
- Experience in operational activities both in humanitarian and development sector; and
- Work experience in the region is an advantage
- General knowledge of MS (ex. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, etc.)
- Digital literacy and demonstrated knowledge of information technology in Adobe Creative Cloud: InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop is an advantage
Fluency in English and Kiswahili is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Somali is an advantage.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this call for applications is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Call for application number (CFA) Position Title and the Duty Station with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
From: 14.09.2023 to 27.09.2023