Requisition ID: req44762
Job Title: Senior Communication Officer
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
The IRC seeks a Senior Communications Officer who will support IRC Somalia’s multi-annual Nexus Project funded by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and the German Federal Foreign Office (GFFO), and the wider Somalia country program. The project aims to strengthen community resilience and peaceful coexistence in response to conflict and the climate crisis in Somalia and ensure safe, equitable and sustained access to emergency services for drought-affected communities. The Senior Communications Officer will coordinate with the Program Development & Communications Coordinator and the Senior Nexus Project Coordinator in conceptualizing, planning and implementation the project’s internal and external communications. She/he will be responsible for creating communications content, such as blog posts and brochures, collecting client stories and audiovisual content (photos and videos), and creating social and mainstream media content.
- Coordinate with IRC Somalia sector leads to undertake field visits to conduct client interviews, collect success stories, photos and videos for dissemination to various audiences including IRC global digital channels and donor reports.
- Write, edit, and distribute various types of content, including material for a website, press releases, success stories and other types of content for internal and external audience.
- Create and produce internal newsletters for the Nexus project.
- Design communication materials such as newsletters, brochures, fact sheets and posters for the Nexus project.
- Create a wide range of graphics layouts for the Nexus project and wider IRC Somalia programs, which includes illustrations and photography.
- Design and create presentations in PowerPoint – working from concepts, drawings, and very basic instruction from the project team.
- Ensure that the IRC brand is always executed in a consistent manner across all areas of work, presentation of work all final concepts and projects to the relevant department.
- Develop relationship with media organizations and contacts in Somalia.
- Assist in the implementation of the IRC Somalia visibility and communication strategy and guidance.
- Assist in the dissemination of content through social media, intranet, reports and other channels.
- Contribute to team efforts by accomplishing tasks as needed.
- Work with the global communications team to provide relevant information, content and context for IRC global channels.
- Hold a degree in Communications, Political Sciences, Public Information, International Relations, or a related field.
- Minimum 4 years of relevant experience working in media, journalism, advocacy, or communications and marketing, or in closely related external relations contexts.
- Very good technical affinity for media contexts including knowledge of a wide range of multimedia, web, and digital tools.
- Outstanding writing and editing skills and social media skills.
- Professional fluency in spoken and written English and Somali is required.
- Basic photography and videography skills required.
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Experience in Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign is desirable.
- Experience in video-editing is desirable.
- Ability to Travel: 70% to different