WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The WFP Regional Bureau for Eastern and Central Africa (RBN) is based in Nairobi and provides strategic direction, technical guidance, resource mobilization and management support to WFP operations and activities in ten countries: Burundi, Djibouti, Eriteria, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan and Uganda.
The increasing humanitarian crises trend in the region including conflict/ War in Sudan, South Sudan, and Ethiopia, last year drought emergency affecting Somalia, Ethiopia, and Kenya; with growing complexity, the role of Contracting and markets will be fundamental towards timely food deliveries by improving logistics contracting and market development to achieve operational efficiencies & effectiveness.
Ensure effective and efficient logistics contracting is done throughout the regional countries, in line with corporate guidelines / Transport Manual. Monitor and report exceptional contracting, CSC reporting, Delegation of Authority, to develop controls, and applying best practices across RBN operations. Monitor the transport market development in collaboration with CBT which is fundamental to ensure functional markets / supply chain to ensure effective use of CBT modality.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the overall supervision of Regional Logistics Officer, the incumbent will work within the logistics unit and in collaboration with the other units in RBN, HQ and Country Offices and will undertake the following duties:
- Contribute towards the development of logistics plans and processes ensuring compliance with wider logistics policies and WFP standards.
- Support logistics projects or operational day-to-day activities following standard processes and contributing, directly or indirectly, to the effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries.
- Collect and analyze data through research and networking with colleagues to recommend actions to the supervisor to improve performance of local logistics operations.
- Conduct portions of financial analysis and budget reviews, drawing out insights and
- Guide support staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with analysis and queries.
- Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reporting, supporting a WFP wide view of logistics activities that enables informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Identify and build productive relationships with logistics colleagues and staff within the area of assignment to support an integrated approach to food assistance.
- Follow emergency logistics preparedness practices to ensure WFP are able to quickly respond and deploy food and needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
- Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIESLogistics Contracting:
- Liaise with RBN Programme, Regional Resource Analysts & RBN Procurement functions to follow up on projections of needs and call forward requirements and tonnage moving thru the various corridors, including GCMF and any cross-regional.
- Where food crosses frontiers, receive regular reports (Daily Dispatch Report, LTI Status, Stocks Reports, etc.) from major Dispatch, Origin or Transshipment points & monitor if deliveries consistent with plans. Focus attention on reviewing pre-position activities especially where several corridors used to serve a CO. Where needed, advise dispatch/transshipment locations of priorities. Monitor and report any exceptions.
- Undertake regular transport and fuel market analysis to closely monitor the transport rates and preempt any potential risk to WFP operations.
- Maintain an updated status of Delegations of Contracting Authorities (Logistics Contracting) from Dir OSC to the COs and ensure these align to operational needs.
- Lead RBN transport contracting and market function, provided operations support, oversight, contracting training and technical advice to RB country offices.
- RBN focal point on collating inputs that may be required for WFP Transport Manual & other WFP corporate guidance, record and disseminate information on logistics best practices to country offices.
- Liaise with RBN Country Offices & SCOL Rome to support the Quarterly CSC reporting in line with Transport Manual for logistics contracting and markets, logistics services short listing process, LSMA and logistics capacity assessment (LCA)
- Monitor overland and inland transport market structure and identify potential opportunities to optimize transport markets through WFP regular contracting modalities.
- Collaborate with other supply chain functional units such as CBT & Retail, planning and procurement (SHF and LRFPP), to identify transport market challenges, propose mitigation model /measure to ensure uninterrupted transport availability.
- Undertake country/countries context local transport market analysis, propose recommendations to support/ actions to strengthen local transport market thus reducing the reliability on regional transporters thus contributing to WFP deliveries in cost effective and efficient manner.
Skills and Qualifications
Education: Advanced University degree in Transport Economics, Supply Chain, Logistics, Engineering, Business Management and Administration, Shipping, Maritime Law, or another related field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses
Experience: Two year post-graduate relevant professional experience with a master’s degree, or three years post-graduate relevant professional experience with a first University Degree, experience working in a multicultural and humanitarian logistics sector will be beneficial.
Knowledge and Skills:
Excellent project management skills and experience.
– Good understanding of logistics service contracting and transport market.
– Understanding of WFP logistics operations in the region is an advantage.
– Experience in contracting, tendering, qualitative and quantitively data analysis, evaluations and market based assessments.
– Strong interpersonal and coordination skills, ability to work in a team and to communicate clearly and diplomatically with a wide range of stakeholders from diverse backgrounds.
– Ability to plan and organize his/her work independently, efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Language: Fluency in both written and spoken English.
Leads by Example with Integrity
Upholds WFP values, principles, and standards:
Demonstrates and encourages others to uphold the WFP values, principles and standards Respects others and values diversity:
Values diversity using respectful and inclusive language, and encourages others to do the same Stays focused and calm under pressure:
Stays focused and calm when under pressure and encourages others to do the same
Demonstrates humility and a willingness to learn: \
Shows humility and a willingness to learn and share knowledge, frequently seeking and acting on feedback, and taking up opportunities to develop
Drives Results and Delivers on Commitments
Delivers results for maximum impact:
Holds self and/or others accountable for the delivery of results Delegates appropriately:
Delivers results against delegated tasks and seeks guidance and support where needed Adapts readily to change:
Responds readily to change adjusting work as needed
Fosters Inclusive and Collaborative Teamwork
Is inclusive and collaborative: Promotes inclusive teamwork and psychological safety by sharing ideas and openly raising issues
Gives timely and constructive feedback:
Supports development for others by giving timely and constructive feedback
Builds and shares new perspectives:
Listens attentively to others to capture, learn, build and share new perspectives
Applies Strategic Thinking
Communicates and fulfils WFP’s vision:
Fulfils WFP’s vision and is able to explain how their objectives support the vision
Embraces curiosity and new ways of doing things:
Demonstrates curiosity, and proposes new ways of doing things when relevant Analyses and evaluates data:
Gathers data and shares knowledge to inform team decision making
Considers the impact of decisions:
Implements decisions and asks questions to understand the impact for wider objectives
Builds and Maintains Sustainable Partnerships
Builds partnerships: Builds partnerships by seeking out opportunities to work with others
Collaborates to deliver common objectives:
Collaborates with partners by sharing information and working together to deliver common goals
How to apply
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Tuesday, 3rd October, 2023.