BBC Media Action is the BBC’s international development charity. We use the power of media and communication to help reduce poverty and support people in understanding their rights. Our aim is to inform, connect and empower people around the world. We work in partnership with broadcasters, governments, non-governmental organizations and donors to share reliable, timely and useful information.
We seek to recruit the following position for our Hargeisa office.
All roles will be offered on a one year contract with the possibility of extension (subject to funding and performance). There will be a three month probationary period.
- Project Manager
We are looking for an experienced Project Manager who will manage some of BBC Media Action’s work in Somalia. His/her role primarily involves ensuring the successful implementation of projects, liaising with relevant departments within the Media Action offices in Nairobi and London. The Project Manager will be responsible for overall direction, coordination, implementation, execution, control and completion of specific projects in Somalia office, ensuring consistency with BBC Media Action strategy, commitments and goals. The Project Manager will ensure resources are used as effectively as possible to deliver projects that meet the highest creative, editorial and technical standards as well as BBC Media Action’s contractual obligations to the donor(s). Note that this position is subject to funding.
Fluency in Somali and English is required.
Title: Project Manager
Reports to: Deputy Country Director
- Ensure that BBC Media Action Somalia projects are delivered on time, to agreed budgets and to the highest standards. This will include leading on: the design, planning and implementation of projects; drafting and agreeing work plans; tracking project deliverables using tools; establishing and maintaining systems for monitoring project budgets; establishing and maintaining systems for assuring the quality of project outputs; following up on legal or procurement issues; overseeing the delivery of projects against agreed objectives and work plans; and representing the programme internally
- Work alongside the Deputy Country Director to support financial planning processes with Hargeisa and Nairobi offices
- Draft project narrative reports and are to a high standard and constantly monitor and report on the progress of the project to all stakeholders
- Work with finance staff to ensure the timely submission of project finance reports to donors
- Monitor project spend and ensure that the project is delivered in line with the budget. Provide project forecasts on a regular basis.
- Liaise with Research and Learning teams that support project design, monitoring and evaluation.
- Manage and implement project changes and interventions to achieve projects outputs
- Provide direction and support to project production teams and manage freelancers and consultants.
- Ensure all projects adhere to BBC Media Action’s policies and editorial guidelines
- Report any safeguarding concerns immediately, either to the Country Director, or using the Whistleblowing Policy
- Any other tasks as requested by your line manager
Skills and Qualifications
Essential skills and experience
- Experience of successful project management, ideally in the development field, including developing, delivering, monitoring and closing projects
- Strong communication skills including the ability to write well in English
- Experience of preparing, monitoring and managing budgets
- Excellent attention to detail
- Good understanding and interest in the issues of how media can be used creatively to further development objectives..
- Degree in Development or International Studies.
- Experience managing projects in Somalia
- Somali and English language speaker
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies:
- Strategic thinking – able to identify a vision along with the plans which need to be implemented to meet the end goal, evaluating situations, decisions and issues in the short, medium and long term.
- Influencing and Persuading: Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Planning and Organising: Is able to think ahead in order to establish an effective and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Imagination/Creative Thinking: Is able to transform creative ideas/impulses into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
- Flexibility: Adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Is able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organisation or job requirements.
- Managing relationships and team working – able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works co-operatively with others to be part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively.
- Resilience – manages personal effectiveness by managing emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Demonstrates an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
How to apply
The role may involve working with groups of vulnerable adults. For the successful candidate, mandatory training will be provided on BBC Media Action’s safeguarding policy and staff code of conduct. BBC Media Action operates a zero-tolerance policy concerning all forms of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people.
Submit your CV and a covering letter by email to email@example.com by 10pm on September 26th, 2023
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.