Senior Health & Nutrition Program Officer
Health & Nutrition Manager
The Senior health and nutrition officer will oversee the day-to-day implementation of all aspects of emergency health and nutrition activities including running of emergency Health and Nutrition sites (Mobile and fixed), community mobilization, needs assessments, program reporting, monitoring, and evaluation as necessary.
This role will provide guidance for implementing nutrition and behavioral change communication activities within the integrated health, water, hygiene and sanitation projects in the targeted locations. S/he will also be required to provide Health and nutrition technical backstopping to CARE staff, partners and community groups through mentorship, technical support, and capacity building to staff and the community at large. S/he will be required to make regular and periodic monitoring visits to all emergency nutrition project field sites on a regular basis. The Senior health and nutrition officer will functionally report to the Health and Nutrition Manager with guidance from Health and nutrition technical lead.
- Program management and implementation
- Represent CARE International in all matters related to health and nutrition in the assigned program location while liaising with partners, donors, governments, and NGOs in field
- Provide technical and management support to integrated health and nutrition projects carried out in Somaliland.
- Identify needs and initiate strategies to address the health and nutrition needs of communities in the Project area and work with CARE and partner staff to develop sustainable community-based programs for addressing direct, underlying, and basic causes of malnutrition and disease morbidity.
- Provide technical support and guidance to Ministry of Health Staff supported by CARE and ensure Ministry of Health and cluster guidelines are followed to provide critical health and nutrition services to the community.
- Enhance the integration and mainstreaming of protection and do no harm to the beneficiaries in all health and nutrition interventions.
- Integrate monitoring and evaluation systems to support beneficiaries’ accountability, and donor reporting, for health and nutrition interventions.
- Provide capacity building to CHWs, TBAs, Mother support group and other community resource persons and key health and nutrition interventions and ensure linkage to health facilities.
- Program Design
- Establish a behavior change communication strategy across CARE health and nutrition in Somaliland and linkage with other sectors and development programs
- Support behavioral change campaigns in targeted programs areas are designed according to needs and cultural context.
- In collaboration with technical lead and Health &nutrition managers ensure messages are chosen in line with the health, nutrition, and WASH national/cluster guidelines on appropriate messaging.
- Support field teams with applying formative research in communities to better understand key barriers to positive behavior change and develop targeted strategies for promoting improved social and behavioral care practices.
- Support teams in developing monthly and quarterly work plans, including messages to be prioritized and demonstrations to take place.
- Support in emergency response activities, including assessments, distributions, and outbreak response.
- Coordinate with the MEAL team to ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation of health and nutrition activities are conducted in the field in accordance with CARE Program quality standards.
- Ensure beneficiary participation, feedback, and accountability in all aspects of the project.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities to the health and nutrition Manager.
- Participate in health and nutrition assessments/survey planning, implementation, and analysis of data.
- Develop a routine joint supervision plan with the Ministry of Health to provide program support and quality control.
- Responsible for quality standards of reports from Partner and project field locations
- Initiate field health and nutrition reports in line with donor and CARE requirements
- S/He will be the focal person for WFP and UNICEF nutrition reporting and another donors.
- Support new innovations and pilots on behavior change and community engagement approaches when necessary.
- Perform any other duty assigned in line with professional work and standards.
Skills and Qualifications
- Degree in Nursing/Midwifery from a recognized Institution
- At least 4 years of progressive experience in managing programs in conflict situations.
- Experience in setting up and running Health and Nutrition programs.
- Experience managing behavior change communication projects including Mother to mother support group set up.
- Experience in carrying out needs assessment.
- Experience in reporting writing
- Experience and skills managing teams
- Experience organizing and facilitating training.
Excellent communication skills-written and spoken.
- Fluency in English and Somali
- Knowledge of the local context in the project area and able to deliver within the community dynamics unabated.
- Strong interpretation skills, flexibility, adaptability, and empathy.
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CV in one PDF document to SOM.SomalilandRecruitment@care.org by referring to the job title “(Senior Health & Nutrition Program Officer) as the subject line of the email, latest on Wednesday, 19 July 2023
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information about CARE and its programs, visit www.care.org
CARE is an equal-opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. CARE is Zero Tolerant organization for child abuse and sexual exploitation and abuses.